Math 21200: Calculus II
Supervisor: Niel Shell
Techniques of integration, exponential growth and decay, separable differential equations, improper integrals, infinite sequences and series, polar coordinates, areas in polar coordinates, geometry of space, and quadric surfaces.
Prerequisite: grade of C or higher in Math 20100 or placement by the Department. (Part of sequence 20100, 21200, 21300.) 4 hr./wk.; 4 cr.
TERM OFFERED: Fall, Spring, Summer
Textbook: Thomas’ Calculus: Early Transcendentals (14th or 15th edition), Haas, Heil, and Weir (Pearson)
Students may use either the 14th or 15th edition of Thomas' Calculus with Early Transcendentals as the textbook. The Math212-Supplementary Notes for Chapters 5, 7, and 8, Chapter 10, Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 documents has material in the syllabus that adds to what is in the text.
Syllabus and Homework
The "Math 212 Syllabus and Homework" document below has been updated with substantial changes, effective Fall 2022. It consists of three parts:
First, a table in which the first three columns constitute the syllabus and in which the fourth column contains a suggested list of homework problems from the text.
Second, a supplementary set of suggested homework problems which are not from the text. The supplementary problem numbers are preceded by an "s." For example, in the suggested homework problems for Section 7.2, the entry s1 refers to supplementary problem 7.2/s1.
Third, answers and selected solutions to all even numbered suggested problems from the text and all supplementary problems.
All of the suggested problems from the text are in both the 14th and 15th editions, usually with the same number. If the 14th and 15th edition numbers for a problem are different, the listing shows, for example, 53(51), that the problem is listed as number 53 in the 15th edition and number 51 in the 14th edition.
Most of the suggested homework problems listed from the text are available in Pearson's MyMathLab (MML). Those that are not in MML are marked with an asterisk. MML uses 15th edition problem numbers.
Spring 2019 through Summer 2022 Math 212 Calculus II with Introduction to Multivariate Functions
Math 212 (4 hours/4 credits) replaced Math 202 (4 hours/3 credits) as part of a plan to replace the previous calculus sequence consisting of Math 201, 202, 203 and part of 392 with a three semester sequence. This version of Math 212 was changed, effective Fall 2022, to make it comparable to Calculus II in other CUNY schools. Vectors, parametric equations and the introduction to multivariate functions were deleted from the syllabus, and exponential growth and decay, separable differential equations and areas using polar coordinates were added.
Tutoring Spring 2023
In-person tutoring is available in Marshak, Room 106, Monday through Thursday 12-5pm and Friday 12-4pm. No appointment necessary. Available Jan 30 through May 23, except Feb 13, Feb 20 and Apr 5-13..
For more information please email the Tutor Coordinator, Andy Trafford, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CLO.pdf: Course and Department Learning Objectoves
- math21200ch8sec1to5Thomas2018-20190128.pdf: Abbreviated Notes and Techniques of Integration Methods (revised 01/28/2019)
- MATH-21200-textbook-info.pdf: MATH 21200 textbook purchase information
- Math212SampleFinalExam effective Fall 2022: Math 212 Sample Final Exam
- Math212SampleFinalExamSolutonsRevMay2023: Math 212 Sample Final Exam Solutions, revised 5_2023
- Math212-SupplementaryNotesChap10: Math 212 Supplementary Notes, Chapter 10
- Math212-SupplementaryNotesChap12AddlProblems: Math 212 Supplementary Notes Chapter 12 Additional Examples
- Math 212-SupplementaryNotesChap5-7-8a: Math 212 Supplementary Notes, Chapters 5-7-8
- Math 212 Supplementary Notes Chapter 12: Math 212 Supplementary Notes, Chapter 12
- Math212-Syllabus-Homework3: Math 212 Syllabus and Homeowwork with Supplementary Problems and Answers
- Math-SupplementaryNotesChap11-2: Math 212 Supplementary Notes Chapter 11
For Spring 2023, the following sections are being offered:
|Letter||Instructor||Time & Place|
|BC||Cheikhna Mahawa Diagana||MoWe 10:00AM-11:40AM in NAC 6/111|
|CD||Niel Shell||MoWe 12:00PM-1:40PM in NAC 6/113|
|GH||Doris Pichardo||MoWe 6:00PM-7:40PM in NAC 6/115|
|LM||Samuel Magill||TuTh 10:00AM-11:40AM in NAC 5/110|
|PR||Samuel Magill||TuTh 2:00PM-3:40PM in NAC 4/115|
|RS||Anastasiia Chorna||TuTh 4:00PM-5:40PM in NAC 6/113|
|ST||Anastasiia Chorna||TuTh 6:00PM-7:40PM in NAC 4/115|
|ST2||Ghasan Yousef||TuTh 6:00PM-7:40PM in NAC 5/110|