I was born in New York and attended public schools in the Bronx.
My areas of research include algebraic topology, knot theory, and numerical simulations of dynamical systems.
My other interests include examining K-12 mathematics curricula and the way in which they do (or do not) prepare students for success in college mathematics courses.
Click the link to CUNY chairs report.doc on the Document list below.
For a math education website that I worked on with the late Jack Schwartz, click on the link listed above under homepage.
Stanley Ocken is not teaching in Fall 2023.
- Adding signed integers: For visual learners
- AlgebraReview3S07.pdf: Algebra review for algebra and precalculus
- _CUNY chairs report.doc
- Elementary School Mathematics for Teachers
- ___Estimating area under a curve index: Trapezoid rule demo
- Flash interval plotting
- flex4sinesketch2.swf: Flash movie demo
- gt.swf: Graph transforms
- IML Lecture
- M203 Power Series.doc
- MapleTA Info for Students: Please read carefully
- Precalculus for STEM
- Substitution in formulas_wgraphshow.ppsm
- Transition to College Math: Algebra exercises for calculus
- Why students fail calculus: Essay on calculus instruction and prerequisites