Department of Mathematics
Meet the Platonic Solids: Cube
The Platonic solids have been known since antiquity, and they play a prominent role in Plato's description of the physical world. The planar faces of each solid are identical polygons. Only equilateral triangles, squares and regular pentagons appear.
Although the platonic solids seem to be purely geometric objects, they embody a number of deep algebraic features. Their symmetries, for example, relate to the solution of polynomial equations of low degree.
If you would like to learn more about Platonic solids, you can start here.
- Artino Computer Laboratory
- Math Department Tutoring: Tutoring run by the Math Department for Maths 19000, 19500, 20100 and 20500.
- Math/Physics Tutoring Center
- Video Lessons for Math 201, 202, and 203
- Reimbursement for costs of applying to graduate school
- Scholarships and Awards
- Conference Travel Award