- NAC 8/134A
- Office hours
- M 1-2 on ZOOM
- Office phone
- (212) 650-5482
- I am managing editor of International Journal of Algebra and Computation
- Semigroup Forum
- SpringerBriefs in Mathematics
- Discussiones Mathematicae - General Algebra and Applications
- The q-theory of Finite Semigroups with John Rhodes. Springer, Monographs in Mathematics, 2009
- Representation Theory of Finite Groups: An Introductory Approach. Springer, Universitext, 2011
- Algebraic Monoids, Group Embeddings, and Algebraic Combinatorics edited with Mahir Can, Zhenheng Li and Qiang Wang, Springer, Fields Institute Communications, Volume 71, 2014
- Representation Theory of Finite Monoids Springer, Universitext, 2016
- MATH B6300, Topology II, MW 4:00PM-5:40PM on ZOOM
I received my Ph.D. at the University of California at Berkeley in 1998 where I was a student of John Rhodes. I had an NSF-NATO postdoc at the University of Porto, Portugal, where I also taught for 2 years. I spent 9 years at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada before coming to CCNY. I'm originally from NYC, so this is a bit of a homecoming for me.
I am an algebraist interested in a vast array of subjects including finite semigroup theory, geometric group theory, algebraic combinatorics, representation theory and automata theory. Another fascinating subject for me is the interconnections between etale groupoids, inverse semigroups, ring theory and operator algebras. Recently I have been focusing on applications of finite semigroups to the analysis of finite state Markov chains.
Don't forget to check out my sporadically updated blog.
Benjamin Steinberg is not teaching in Summer 2022.