Division of Science

Programs

General

External

Contact

Department of Mathematics
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031

Phone: (212) 650-5346
Fax: (212) 650-6294
math@ccny.cuny.edu

MATH 34600-B: Elements of Linear Algebra

Instructor: Benjamin Steinberg

Lectures: MW 2:00PM - 3:15PM, NAC 5/109

Office: NAC 8/134a

Phone: (212) 650-5482 (but email is preferred!)

Email: bsteinberg@ccny.cuny.edu

Office Hours: Monday 3:15-4:15

Textbook:

  • Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gllbert Strang, 5th edition
  • Material to be covered (tentative)

    • Chapter 1: Introduction to Vectors, Sections 1-3
    • Chapter 2: Solving Linear Equations, Sections 1-5
    • Chapter 3: Vector Spaces and Subspaces
    • Chapter 4: Orthogonality
    • Chapter 5: Determinants, Sections 1-2
    • Chapter 6: Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors, Sections 1-4
    • Chapter 7: The Singular Value Decomposition, Sections 1-3
    • Chapter 8: Linear Transformations

    Grading

  • Homework: 10%
  • Exam 1: 25%
  • Exam 2: 25%
  • Final Exam: 40%
  • Exam Information

  • Exam 1: Wednesday, October 16
  • Exam 2: Monday, November 18
  • Exams 1-2 will be administered during the class time. The final exam will be scheduled by the university during the exam period. No makeup exams are allowed. No calculators, books, or notes are permitted on any exam. You are required to bring a photo ID.

    Homework

    Weekly (approximately) problem sets will be posted on the course webpage on Blackboard as well as on webwork. Homeworks will be graded based on completeness and one or two problems per set will be graded (you will not be told in advance which ones). Webwork will be worth 3% and written homework worth 7% for a total of 10%. You may work with other students, but you should indicate who you worked with on which problems. You should write your final solutions yourself. Any outside sources (e.g., the internet) should be properly cited. The two lowest homework scores will be dropped. Homework should be turned in at the beginning of class. If you cannot make class, please email me scan a black and white scanned copy (not a photo). Note that I will not print out assignments turned in electronically so you will receive a grade but not feedback. Late homework will not be accepted.

    Academic Integrity

    You are expected to adhere to the CUNY Policy on academic integrity.