Department of Mathematics
- NAC 8/134a
- Office hours
- By appointment
- Office phone
- (212) 650-5482
I received my Ph.D. at the University of California at Berkeley in 1998 where I was a student of John Rhodes. I had an NSF-NATO postdoc at the University of Porto, Portugal, where I also taught for 2 years. I spent 9 years at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada before coming to CCNY. I'm originally from NYC, so this is a bit of a homecoming for me.
I am an algebraist interested in a vast array of subjects including finite semigroup theory, geometric group theory, algebraic combinatorics, representation theory and automata theory. Another fascinating subject for me is the interconnections between etale groupoids, inverse semigroups and operator algebras. Recently I have been focusing on applications of finite semigroups to the analysis of finite state Markov chains.
Don't forget to check out my sporadically updated blog.
- The q-theory of Finite Semigroups with John Rhodes. Springer, Monographs in Mathematics, 2009
- Representation Theory of Finite Groups: An Introductory Approach. Springer, Universitext, 2011
- Algebraic Monoids, Group Embeddings, and Algebraic Combinatorics edited with Mahir Can, Zhenheng Li and Qiang Wang, Springer, Fields Institute Communications, Volume 71, 2014
Graduate Adviser Info
- All graduate-related email should be directed to email@example.com.
- I will be holding office hours Tuesday, Sept 1 from 10:30-11:45.
- Most relevant information about our Master's program can be found here.
- All graduate student related inquiries that are not answered here should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications for admission to the program for Spring 2016 are due November 15. Follow the links for information on how to apply and funding.
- S. W. Margolis, F. Saliola and B. Steinberg: Combinatorial topology and the global dimension of algebras arising in combinatorics, J. Eur. Math. Soc., to appear. Abstract
- S. W. Margolis and B. Steinberg: Quivers of monoids with basic algebras, Compositio Mathematica 148 (2012), 1516-1560. Abstract
- K. Henckell, J. Rhodes and B. Steinberg: An effective lower bound for group complexity of semigroups and automata, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 364 (2012), 1815-1857 . Abstract
- Alfredo Costa and Benjamin Steinberg: Profinite groups associated to sofic shifts are free, Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. (3) 102 (2011), no. 2, 341–369. Abstract
- Benjamin Steinberg: A groupoid approach to discrete inverse semigroup algebras, Adv. in Math. 223 (2010), 689-727. Abstract