Department of Mathematics
- NAC 8/134a
- Office hours
- By appointment
- Office phone
- (212) 650-5482
I received my Ph.D. at the University of California at Berkeley in 1998 where I was a student of John Rhodes. I had an NSF-NATO postdoc at the University of Porto, Portugal, where I also taught for 2 years. I spent 9 years at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada before coming to CCNY. I'm originally from NYC, so this is a bit of a homecoming for me.
I am an algebraist interested in a vast array of subjects including finite semigroup theory, geometric group theory, algebraic combinatorics, representation theory and automata theory. Another fascinating subject for me is the interconnections between etale groupoids, inverse semigroups and operator algebras. Recently I have been focusing on applications of finite semigroups to the analysis of finite state Markov chains.
Don't forget to check out my sporadically updated blog.
- I am managing editor of International Journal of Algebra and Computation
- SpringerBriefs in Mathematics
- Semigroup Forum
- Discussiones Mathematicae - General Algebra and Applications
- The q-theory of Finite Semigroups with John Rhodes. Springer, Monographs in Mathematics, 2009
- Representation Theory of Finite Groups: An Introductory Approach. Springer, Universitext, 2011
- Algebraic Monoids, Group Embeddings, and Algebraic Combinatorics edited with Mahir Can, Zhenheng Li and Qiang Wang, Springer, Fields Institute Communications, Volume 71, 2014
Graduate Adviser Info
- All graduate-related email should be directed to email@example.com.
- Office hours: Summer Office Hours are generally by appointment. I will be available Wed. June 29, 2-3
- Most relevant information about our Master's program can be found here.
- All graduate student related inquiries that are not answered here should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications for admission to the program for Fall 2016 are due May 1. Follow the links for information on how to apply and funding.